Martyn wrote:

If you have anything like the Praetorius, Mace, Picinni, Talbot evidence on large theorbos but clearly relating to smalI instruments in this tuning, I'd like to see it please.
<<

So far we have seen evidence of reentrant tuning for large theorbos, thank you for the references. And we have solo music requiring reentrant tuning and strongly suggesting a-tuning (Kapsberger). However, we have not seen evidence stating small theorbos could not be tuned reentrant. Your opinion on the matter is clear, but your arguments are not. I hate to be taking sides in an argument that could, and should, bring us all to a better understanding of the historical record and, especially interesting for me, its consequences for our own playing today, but as it stands now I think the burden of proof is on your side: what are the arguments to deny the possibility of tuning a small theorbo reentrant in a? Saying, as I understand you to do, that the fact that large theorbos were tuned reentrant is proof small theorbos were not tuned reentrant, does not make sense. I agree with you that bigger is better for much of theorbo continuo practice. I agree with you that many of us, myself included, have a 'toy' theorbos (76cm here!) not ideally suited for some of the continuo repertoire (Montevredi las weekend!) we play on it nonetheless. I agree with you that covering up the defects of a small theorbo by using overspun basses on 6 (and lower if present at the fingerboard) is a modern solution. But I see no evidence denying the historical possibility of tuning a small theorbo reentrant in a. On the contrary, some would argue that the solo music (in a) would require a small theorbo as it would require rather very large hands to be played on one of the very large continuo theorbos.

respectfully

David