Leonard Williams wrote:
I've been working on Capirola's "Baleto da balar bello".  The middle section
has some simple looking but tricky chord shifts which I've been trying in
various ways to make a smooth transition.  Any recommendations?  The section
is below in ascii tab (use a monospace font).  The tricky palces are marked
with an *, but I'm not sure of the accuracy of the marking (e.g., the dotted
note toward the end belongs at the end--can't seem to find the right font on
my machine!).  It's a Bb chord going to an Em?
Thanks and regards,
Leonard Williams

The problem of fretting the sixth string pretty much goes away if you have the right 6-course lute and can stop it with your thumb. This is a common technique with electric guitar and seems to be indicated as a possibility in the introduction to the Capirola MS ( http://www.marincola.com/lutebot1.txt ).

Stephen Fryer