Hi Dan and All,

I think Dan's fingering is good, and it follows a good principle - the further you have to reach, the longer the finger you use. We have mostly been taught to play two notes on the same fret by turning the hand to use the first finger for the note nearest the bass and the second for the note nearest the treble, but sometimes it makes sense to do it the other way round. Consider c1a2a4c5: if you use the first finger for the c5 it is very difficult for it to clear the open 4th course, but if you use the first finger for c1 and the second (longer) finger for c5 it gets easier. If I remember correctly, this fingering is given somewhere in Newsidler. I often use the third finger for the c1, but it depends on context.

Another alternative for the passage in question from Capirola is to just not attempt to hold the bass - it's surprising how effective (inaudible) this can be if done well.

Using the thumb over the top of the neck is a technique regularly used by jazz and electric guitarists generally, and if paintings are anything to go by, 16th C lutenists as well. It's great if you can do it. Personally, I find my thumb too short, it's not worth the struggle.

Best to all,

Martin