Dear List,
       as Mimmo explains in a video (unfortunately in Italian) on his
   facebook page, the original beef gut regulation in EU was due to fear
   of the so-called "mad cow" disease transmission.
   In the meantime thou we have discovered that this disease is NOT
   transmissible and therefore most EU countries have canceled their
   internal regulation based o the original EU law.
   Our USA friends should never forget that EU is NOT a country, but a
   group of countries with independent regaulations and laws.
   For THAT reason Italy has "forgotten" to cancel madcow regulations and
   is forcing Mimmo to stop producing gut strings for lack of raw
   material. Sofracob had the same problem in France a few years ago, but
   I understand now France has cancelled all madcow related limits on beef
   gut.
   We should ALL lobby against this Italian regulation if we want Mimmo to
   continue producing his very good gut strings: the person to contact is,
   as stated by Mimmo in his Facebook page, is Dr. Tiziana Serraino
   ([1]t.serra...@sanita.it). I sent her an e-mail immediately. I believe
   we should all do so to help ourselves and Mimmo with this ridiculous
   issue.
   Luca