     De: Mathias Roesel <mathias.roe...@t-online.de>
     Objet: [LUTE] Re: Vimeo: Monica Pustilnik playing Piccinini
     A: "'ml'" <man...@manololaguillo.com>
     Cc: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Mardi 27 mars 2012, 12h40

   > >> In it Monica Pustilnik plays Corrente VI from Piccinini's 1639
   book.

   > >> The archlute was made by Francisco Hervas (Granada).
   > >
   > > Thanks for sharing, Manolo! This is another example, though, of RH
   > > modern guitar playing technique, as regards position close to the
   rose
   > > and thumb-in. Amazing anyway.
   > I don't understand what you mean, though... RH modern guitar playing
   > technique would imply thumb-out, not thumb-in, right?
   Yes, indeed. What I was referring to is the position of her right hand
   close
   to the bridge, her playing with nails, and the initial movements of her
   index and middle fingers from the root joints. That's how I was taught
   play the classical guitar. When I picked up the lute, it was the
   renaissance
   lute first, and I was taught to turn my right arm around and play
   thumb-in.
   That blend of techniques betrays former guitarists who haven't
   abandoned the
   classical guitar.
   Don't get me wrong, though, Monica Pustilnik is an amazing player IMHO.
   She
   has been Evangelina Mascardi's partner on their marvellous Castaldi CD
   (strongly recommended).
   Mathias