I recently recorded a CD with Christmas music in a studio in Hungary and I can
tell you they get the sound of the theorbo as beautiful as possible. I really
don't know what kind of microphone they used but it was a huge one about 40 cm
from the soundboard and a smaller one about 20 cm from the fretboard. In that
way the sound was very natural and the CD listened on a HI-FI stuff it's like a
real live one...
I think it's also a matter of preamps (they were using some tube preamps and
amps...).
Shure, AKG and Sennheiser are among the best what you can find on "normal"
prices.
Shure is my favorite.