On 3 April 2012 18:05, Brad Walton <gtung.wal...@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> On the weekend I recorded two pieces in a professional recording studio.  I
..
> On the recording, the sound of the theorbo is very tinny and distorted, and
> bears almost no similarity to the natural/ acoustic sound of the instrument.

So much for the 'professional recording studio' ...

What is more important than the studio or the equipment, is the ear of
the engineer. What does he want to record? If he has a preconceived
idea of what a theorbo should shound, that is what he will put on
tape. So, talk to the man, play for him, let him listen to what you
think your theorbo should sound like. Listen to the test recordings,
discuss things you would like differently, and keep coming back till
you're both happy. Setting up the mics just rigth can take a lot of
time, but it is time well spent. I have made many recordings, over 30
cds with many different profffessional engineers with _very_ fancy
mics, and many more recordings with less professional people with very
ordinary mics, but the people I could talk to, and discuss with what I
like about my sound, made the best recordings, whatever their
equipment. There is no one way to record a lute.

 David