On Apr 11, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Anthony Hind wrote:
> Ed
>      Do I understand that you record in mono? I have often found that mono
> recordings are more relaxing than stereo, and analog more relaxing than
> digital; so mono analog is sometimes the easiest to listen to. It is as
> though the brain has lesswork to do recreating the sound image (trying to
> make the two sound images coincide). Although you no longer have indications
> of instrument position.

No, I record in stereo if it is solo. Sometimes I record the lute in mono if
there is a voice or other instrument because I have just one very expensive
Neumann mic and I like to use it on the lute if I can. What I was saying is
that if you record in a coincident pattern, there will be NO problems with
phasing in mono playback. I don't know who listens in mono anymore, but it
could happen. My main reason for using a coincident pattern though is that I
can get a consistent sound on different days and even in different locations.
I'm essentially lazy.

> It used to be true that mono tape had far more dynamic space than stereo
> (mono analog with Nagra whole track, instead of stereo halftrack; although I
> suppose with two Nagras synchronized for stereo, you would have the same
> dynamic space); but is this still applicable with the newest digital
> recording medium with various "lossless" compressing algorythms?

No, I'm pretty sure the dynamic range is the same for mono or stereo in the
digital domain. You choose the bit rate, after all. Personally, I feel the
recording capabilities today far exceed the playback systems most people listen
on. If I record at 24 bits 48k or 44.1k (some record at double or quadruple
that sample rate) with nice mics, the advantages are more in the
manipulation/effect/processing domain than in the playback medium. That is:
GIGO. Put yet another way, start with lots of headroom and high quality and by
the time it is reduced down to AAC or mp3 for a YouTube video and played on
computer speakers, there still should be some discernible difference from a
recording made with a PCM/mp3 recorder using its built in mics and recording in
mp3 rather than wave format.