Get a micrometer and measure it. You can't string lutes in the dark, and that's
where you are without a micrometer. If it's a .38 mm nylgut and your lute
requires a .40 or even a .42, you can get those sizes in nylgut. But you have
to know where you are in order to go somewhere else. The new generation of
nylgut is stronger & matches real gut better than the old white stuff. In fact,
nylon was recommended for many 1st course applications until the new stuff came
out. Anyway, nylon can sound perfectly fine, and if you like the feel of the
thicker string at your desired tension it may be the way to go.

Dan