My problem with a nylgut chanerelle was that it broke too easily (perhaps too
thin?).  Chris of Catlines recommended a Pyramid first string, nylon I believe.
 The gauge specified on its cover is 0.475, but my calipers measure it to be
about .45 mm.  Whatever, it sounds fine with the rest of my nylgut courses.