   From: Paul Daverman <daverman.p...@sbcglobal.net>
   To: lute-buil...@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Tuesday, 1 January 2013, 20:02
   Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] Pitch center on a 10 cs. lute
     I am building a 10 cs. lute per Robert Lundberg's plans (10-cs
     Renaissance Lute, Dieffopruchar 1612).  I am to the point where I
   have
     begun looking at strings so that I have an idea of diameters, etc.
   As
     this is my first lute build, I am looking at Nylgut and am looking to
     tune to AD0.  One of the suppliers to which I have inquired has said
     that in A440 tuning, they have no strings at 65cm length that can
   take
     the tension for the chanderelle (and that no gut could either.)  He
     said that the instrument was probably meant for A92 and while he
   could
     supply strings in either tuning, I'd have to look elsewhere for a
     string for the chanderelle if I chose A440.
     I am wondering if any of you can talk to this topic.  Would I be over
     stressing the lute if I tune to the  modern tuning of A440?  Would
   A392
     have been the intended tuning or maybe A415?  What other
   repercussions
     of tuning one way vs. another should I know about?  My music theory
   is
     a bit poor - is the difference between going from A440 tuning to A392
     really any different that transposing down a (??) major second?  Any
     word to help get all this straight in my mind would be appreciated.
     While I understand that "pitch" is all relative, I'm having a
   difficult
     time getting my arms around the practical understanding of what I
     should do for stringing.  Thanks.
     Paul