I built a 63+ cm. length lute some years back, actually a "bastard" lute in that it was Music Maker's "flatback". I had the breakage problem with the chanterelle also - I was pitching to A440 and tuning to G. Musical nylon would last a few days, nylgut would break almost immediately. I went to a sporting goods store and chatted with the fishing department - they gave me about 10 feet of nylon "leader" line to try. It worked, I have had no breakage in ten years.

The Aquila article is interesting, but perhaps overly technical as it doesn't start with the basic principle. Please pardon my simple primer, I'm sure it is obvious to most of you - but I had played guitar for years before I realized this.

A string (or a rope, or a structural wire/rod) breaks when the stress on it exceeds the tensile strength of the material used. We stress a musical string when we tune it up to the tension for the desired pitch/frequency. The frequency of the vibration is a function of the combination of string (or rope - think of the shrouds of a sailboat humming in a strong wind) length, the tension, and the vibrating mass of the string.

The mass is a function of the density of the material (mass/weight per unit - i.e., lbs./cubic inch, grams/cubic cm., etc) and the number of units (length, sort of). I say mass/weight for the very technical, they are the same in our gravity. Notice that it is a cubic measure - a long thin string will have the same weight as a short fat one.

The tensile strength is also a function of the specific material, and it is normally measured in weight per cross-sectional unit (i.e., lbs/square in., kilograms/square cm.). A thin string will break when supporting less weight than a fat one because of the greater cross-sectional area. We normally measure the tension on our musical strings using pounds (or a metric weight), but that is shorthand - the newton is the general measure.

My revelation (satori?) when I was building that lute was that, given the material and the length, any gauge of string will break at the same pitch. The thicker the gauge the stronger the string, but also the greater the vibrating mass. The greater vibrating mass requires greater tension on the string to bring it to pitch. It happens that the competing factors (the square measure of cross-section that defines tensile strength and the cubic measure of mass) meet at a point we can call the "breaking pitch" for a given length and material.

This, of course, applies to monofiliment strings, wound strings add mass without changing the core strength, but that is another matter.

Best, Jon