Roman-

The article as it is now looks good to me. The only possible legitimate sale thwartation I can conceive of would be that of a good instrument by a builder that is not a model of what your article deems to be his best style- say an unusually fine vihuela or 6-course from a luthier more famous for, say, his Roman chitarrone or French theorbi. But of course that's a stretch, you merely offered perfectly legit guidelines.

In that vein I would suggest that you might supply an updated list of luthiers- or link to such existing lists, the major lute societies maintain such lists.

Your point no. 8 is quite well taken- and I suspect the source of most of your "unpleasant conversations". There are indeed some totally out of touch, stubborn ignorami who refuse to believe:

1. That the ever-changing, (usually improving) early instrument production standards have made your old treasure worth much less. (No, your 6-fret, 30 pound, 7 course "Renaissance lute" Hauser knock-off with the Wooly Rhinoceros rebar bridge saddle is NOT worth $9,000). Sorry, but that treasure is now an obsolete, worthless curiosity. What's called a "wall-hanger" in the world of beautiful, but no longer functional objets.

2. The market controls you, not the other way around. An item- esp. an old, used item (no, I'm not talking about a Sellas, Strad, or Maler) is worth exactly what somebody is willing to pay for it; and no more. Go ahead, don't lower the price- just grow old while your "lute" sits on the lute list, eBay, coffee shop bulletin board, or wherever.

P.S. - I would love to find a nice, sound, 10 course Franciolini- but it has to be genuine, and less than $450! ;-)

Dan