Hi Roman,

Well, we've had this discussion before but I really can't agree on your minimum
width for a 13-course lute. In paragraph 3 you say ' Make sure the bridge is
not too narrow, ideally in the vicinity of 155mm between the 1st and the 13th
course. If it measures only 145mm - stay away. Your thumb will be very sorry,
and rather useless. Personally I think that 145 mm is a very comfortable
spacing and anything over 150 mm quickly becomes unmanageable. Overall width is
just one factor, and the distance between individual courses and the strings of
each course is another. I have played a well set-up lute with a bridge space of
140 mm which felt very natural. People have different techniques and
preferences so I don't think such a sweeping statement can be left
unquestioned, especially when, as David Van Edwards points out, there is so
much variety in historical bridge spaces.

As for the action recommendations in paragraph 4, I agree that anything above
4mm at the 8th fret is to be avoided, but some very well set-up lutes can have
an action as low as 2.8 mm and not buzz even when played powerfully. Here again
I feel that one has to bring other factors into account such as how true the
fingerboard is, it's thickness and width, how it is fretted and how the dishing
is built into the soundboard.

Paragraph 6 deals with the problems with swan-neck lutes. It is almost
inevitable that even the best made of these models often have the upper neck
pull up and twist over time, it is pretty much inherent in the design and can
require remedial work (such as a new upper nut, for example). I have never
heard of that pulling a bridge off though.

Best

Matthew