That is probably why it survived. No one could play it.
RT

On 10/15/2014 4:41 PM, Dan Winheld wrote:
Damn, I would have put money on a scenario involving a furious Papazian owner losing a $5,000 sale to a buyer that your article would have warned off. (Those things will take your left hand off at the wrist faster than a Pirhana in the bathtub if you attempt a barre chord. I speak from personal experience.)

13 course spacing at the bridge? My own Robert Lundberg original is exactly 150, on the nose. Works perfectly for me. One of my Baroque lute students (Burkholtzer copy) has about 155, feels like "A Bridge too Far" to me, playing 12th & 13 w/thumb, & top 3 courses w/ima- but preferable to too narrow. My other Baroque lute student also has a Burkholtzer copy by the same builder has a much narrower spacing, (his exact specs to the builder) too narrow for me and everyone else who has ever tried it (including Nigel North) but he is perfectly comfortable, never misses a note because of the spacing. Has large hands, too.

On spacing, general guidelines yes, kind of, but a very personal thing, so YMMV. The string spacing at the bridge on the original Chambure Vihuela is apparently much too narrow for virtually anyone; both Barber-Harris & Dan Larson only offer it as a cautionary option.

Dan