I think octave stringing on the 5th and 6th courses is now thought probably and I think that John Griffiths does that although I am not certain. The thing is that you have to get the strings perfectly matched so that the high octave string enhances the low octave string but doesn't create a re-entrant effect.
Monica
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Barto" <r.ba...@gmx.de>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:12 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Vihuela stringing

  Thanks for the interesting comments on Spain vs. Italy
  A few years ago there was some discussion that the vihuela sources
  weren't so clear about the strict no octave policy. What is the current
  thinking on this?
  --
  Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

  Antonio Corona <abcor...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

    Dear friends,
    Regarding the lute in Spain, Douglas Alton Smith, as Dan points out,
    supports a myth, albeit a long established one. And I must agree
    with
    Monica in that it is indeed a rather silly one. For those who can
    read
    Spanish, my book El LaA-od en la EspaA+-a Cristiana (The Lute in
    Christian Spain) is about to appear, published by the Spanish
    Sociedad
    de la Vihuela, el LaA-od y la Guitarra. I hope It my prove helpful
    in
    dispelling the absurd notions about the alleged mistrust of things
    Moorish, besides paying homage to Diana Poulton and Pepe Rey's
    contributions to the matter.
    There is plenty more information and documents about the lute in
    Spain
    than those advanced by Smith, and they attest to a widespread use of
    the instrument there. As a matter of fact,I had already delved into
    the
    matter in my dissertation, and arrived at the conclusion -which I
    now
    can support even better- that the truly aristocratic instrument in
    Renaissance Spain was not the vihuela (as it is generally held), but
    the lute.
    With best wishes,
    Antonio