Could someone pls. explain why the thinner string is sometimes placed
   above (baroque practice?) and sometimes below (renaissance practice?)
   the thicker one?
   G.

   On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Monica Hall
   <[1]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

     I think octave stringing on the 5th and 6th courses is now thought
     probably and I think that John Griffiths does that although I amA
     not certain.
     The thing is that you have to get the strings perfectly matched so
     that the high octave string enhances the low octave string but
     doesn't create a re-entrant effect.
     Monica
     ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Barto"
     <[2]r.ba...@gmx.de>
     Cc: "Lutelist" <[3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:12 AM
     Subject: [LUTE] Vihuela stringing

     A  Thanks for the interesting comments on Spain vs. Italy
     A  A few years ago there was some discussion that the vihuela
     sources
     A  weren't so clear about the strict no octave policy. What is the
     current
     A  thinking on this?
     A  --
     A  Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my
     brevity.
     A  Antonio Corona <[4]abcor...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
     A  A  Dear friends,
     A  A  Regarding the lute in Spain, Douglas Alton Smith, as Dan
     points out,
     A  A  supports a myth, albeit a long established one. And I must
     agree
     A  A  with
     A  A  Monica in that it is indeed a rather silly one. For those who
     can
     A  A  read
     A  A  Spanish, my book El LaA-od en la EspaA+-a Cristiana (The Lute
     in
     A  A  Christian Spain) is about to appear, published by the Spanish
     A  A  Sociedad
     A  A  de la Vihuela, el LaA-od y la Guitarra. I hope It my prove
     helpful
     A  A  in
     A  A  dispelling the absurd notions about the alleged mistrust of
     things
     A  A  Moorish, besides paying homage to Diana Poulton and Pepe Rey's
     A  A  contributions to the matter.
     A  A  There is plenty more information and documents about the lute
     in
     A  A  Spain
     A  A  than those advanced by Smith, and they attest to a widespread
     use of
     A  A  the instrument there. As a matter of fact,I had already delved
     into
     A  A  the
     A  A  matter in my dissertation, and arrived at the conclusion
     -which I
     A  A  now
     A  A  can support even better- that the truly aristocratic
     instrument in
     A  A  Renaissance Spain was not the vihuela (as it is generally
     held), but
     A  A  the lute.
     A  A  With best wishes,
     A  A  Antonio
     A  A
     A  A  From: Dan Winheld <[5]dwinh...@lmi.net>
     A  A  To: Monica Hall <[6]mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; Mark Seifert
     A  A  <[7]seifertm...@att.net>
     A  A  Cc: Lutelist <[8]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     A  A  Sent: Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 16:53
     A  A  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Spain vs. Italy
     A  A  Satan's Advocate could well quote from Douglas Alton Smith's
     support
     A  A  of
     A  A  the rather silly myth from his work, "A History of the Lute",
     p.221
     A  A  Chapter VIII "The Vihuela in Renaissance Spain":
     A  A  "At least one musician, Rodrigo Castillo, who was denoted as a
     A  A  lutenist
     A  A  in Spanish court records of 1488, was called a vihuelist in
     1500.
     A  A  Instrument makers who were commonly called 'laudero' in the
     15th
     A  A  century
     A  A  were called 'violero' in the 16th."
     A  A  -And of course he's got footnotes giving documentation. For
     what
     A  A  it's
     A  A  worth- Can anyone corroborate, contradict?
     A  A  (Incidentally, I could have been legitimately labeled
     "Lutenist" in
     A  A  1999
     A  A  and "Vihuelist" in 2002).
     A  A  Dan