To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:24 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Vihuela stringing

A few thoughts:

I think it was John Ward's 1955 PhD thesis which started everyone on the idea that the vihuela was strung in unisons, and it remained unquestioned until quite recently, probably because with modern overspun strings no-one thought there was a problem.

As far as lute stringing is concerned, it seems that although 7c lutes and vihuelas existed in the late 15th century, they were not widely used until the late 16th century (for instance, Galilei 1563/84 says the 7th course is too weak to be useful). Then probably sometime in the second half ot the 16th century some improvements in string technology were made (loaded strings?) which allowed a useful string to be tuned a fourth below the 6th. Once that happened, of course, more courses followed very quickly because the extra strings were only "filling in the gaps", the open string range of a 10c lute being only a tone more than that of a 7c lute.

The new improved strings (whatever they were) were therefore probably not available to the vihuelists in the first half of the 16th century, and in modern times people have shrugged their shoulders and (in order to comply with the orthodoxy which said vihuelas were strung in unison) said "Well they must just have had really good strings". I don't really buy this: at the time lutes were strung in ordinary gut strings, with octaves on courses 4-6 to add some more high harmonics to the rather dull basses - why would the vihuela be any different?

There is some limited evidence for unisons - Pisador's tuning instructions imply a unison 4th course, but unfortunately he doesn't provide us with any information about whether the 5th and 6th were unisons as well. Some source (I forget which) contrasts the vihuela with the "Flemish vihuela", i.e. lute, saying that the latter has octaves. But as far as I know there is no source which provides definite evidence of unisons on those lower courses. It does seem that the Italians/Neapolitans in the second half of the 16th century started to use unisons on the lute, at least as far as the 5th course - Le Roy (1568/74) discusses the advantages of an octave 5th course in intabulations and says that the method he describes would not be possible with lutes strung in unisons such as were used by Fabritio Dentice. But then Dentice died about 1600, so again we're talking about a period nearly half a century after the vihuela books.

My guess is that octaves and unisons have always come and gone to some degree, depending on the instrument and the strings, with the likelihood of octaves increasing as the pitch of the string goes lower, so a 6th course would be more likely to need an octave than the 5th, for instance. This is just a practical matter, since the upper octave should never be very obvious - the key to which, by the way, is to use relatively high tension for the octave string (about the same as the lower octave) rather than the lower tension which remains common in modern times.

Best wishes,

Martin