You can buy ready to use hide glue which requires no expertise to use. Titebond
make a liquid hide wood glue. It is quite suitable for small jobs such as
gluing body frets (obviously professional lute makers prefer to use there own
concoctions for jobs such as barring and assembling tops). Hide glue is very
strong (particularly fish glue) but makes disassembling much easier and less
destructive than modern glues.
Best
Matthew