I love this thread. Started as an open ended question about wadyathinkaboutthis
and has become a Rorschach test for HIP interpretation.

First off, the I in HIP is informed, not identical. As our musicological and
historical lutherie evidence grows, we can try to recreate and imitate aspects
of original performance within modern limitations (maybe the sound was heard
differently if half the audience had tertiary syphilis?!). Many of these things
will impact the sound a lot, others minimally or not at all. If a piece was
written for a 12 course lute and you play it on a 13 course instrument I don’t
think you are losing its essence. For solo music I think the sound is quite
different between single and double strung lutes, for continuo in a large band,
maybe not so perceptible. Of course gut is a different sound to synthetic but
if you don’t have the luxury of a humidity controlled hall and you are running
from the airport to the gig with a 1 hour rehearsal, there’s no point having
that better gut sound if everything goes out of tune every 5 minutes.

What clearly is HIP is using the resources at hand for the gig of the day. I’m
sure Weiss didn’t worry about finding a re-entrant theorbo to play continuo in
an Italian opera (did he even play those?) when he had his d minor tuned German
Theorbo at hand. If a continuo player got arthritis and couldn’t twist their
wrist to play thumb out, I’m sure they did just fine recreating the sound thumb
under. I’ve heard Sylvan Bergeron play continuo with his single strung archlute
thumb under in anachronistic rep and it was both highly musical and audible.
I’m relying on memory of reading concert notes or perhaps a CD booklet but I
THINK the type of lute Vivaldi had in mind for this concerto is unclear or
perhaps controversial. Given that it’s mostly single line alternating with
chords, it’s not a stretch to play it on a Ren or Baroque tuned instrument.

To the performance, listening with my eyes closed, there are things I like and
things I don’t. I really don’t like the playing of the bowed strings. I do like
the improvisational ornaments added to the solo line (although I think there
were a couple trills starting on the lower note). Listening to some of the
recordings I own, which of course is not a direct comparison with a live
performance, I do prefer O’Dette, Lindberg, Lislevand and McFarlane to this,
both for the solo playing and for the accompaniment but these are great players
and all the performances (including the video) are good. With my eyes open
watching the video, the right hand is very guitaristic with the thumb playing
very un-baroque free stroke and a few finger rest strokes I thought I saw. For
me, falls in the category of “they didn’t do it that way” but given the single
strung instrument I don’t think it really changes the sound much.

Danny