Dear All,
    I really don't think the planetary tuning pegs are necessary for a
   lute with good-fitting pegs. I find that a small amount of violin "peg
   dope" -- the hard, waxy type, not the softer gooey type -- is all the
   help my lute and vihuela pegs need.
    On the other hand, I did get them installed on my cittern, and they
   are a godsend. So, like Ms. Carlin, I would recommend them for
   wire-strung instruments, which have greater tuning difficulties.
   Cheers,
   Jim Stimson