About once a year the topic of planetary tuners comes up on this
   listserve.   People weigh in for and against, sometimes (like last
   year) the discussion gets overheated as some who are against cite
   historical authenticity and other factors as reasons against and those
   who are for them cite the "make it easy on yourself--adopt modern
   methods" position to support their use.
   Then, after the dust settles, we discover we are pretty much evenly
   split for and against and the issue dies down only to rise again in 12
   months.
   For those who do not wish to use planetary tuners, the most notable
   example of which is PegHedz, their best approach is not to use them.
   For those, like me, who have used them and like them very much indeed,
   the best approach is to keep using them.   I have 42 instruments in the
   LSA's lute rental collection and if I had the money to do so I would
   install PegHedz on every single one.   The LSA neither supports nor
   does not support the use of any particular tuner, including friction
   pegs or planetary tuners such as PegHedz.   I am only telling you that
   I think they are such a valuable resource that I would put them on all
   the lutes if it could be afforded.   It can't so I won't.   But if I
   did it would forever eliminate the problem that aging lutes have of
   pegs that become out of round and needing replacing or retooling.   It
   would also make tuning much easier for beginners--but that is just my
   opinion.
   So it seems best for us to use what we like as tuners and focus on the
   music we make with the strings.   Let us all continue to make beautiful
   music no matter what method we use to tension our strings.
   Michael
   On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:53 PM Charles Mokotoff