I had used a word that the listserv's robot flags as a request instead of a
message.  Here remedied with far more words than necessary.

Eugene

-----Original Message-----
From: Braig, Eugene
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 7:39 PM
To: Lutelist
Subject: RE: [LUTE] Re: Mandolino versus Mandola

I'm also quite excited to see this article, Davide, but back issues don't
appear to be available for sale yet, and my university doesn't [pay a fee to
periodically receive editions of] the British journal.

Some sources attest to the (largely) interchangeable nature of the terms, and
some attest to "mandola" referring to generally larger instruments (e.g., in
both cases, Herre, Susanne. 2012. The mandolin in relation to the lute: a
historical survey. Lute News 104:9–23.  In the latter case, Morey, Stephen.
1993. Mandolins of the 18th Century. Editrice Turris, Cremona.  Etc.).  I've
seen Orlandi write in at least one place (I don't recall which, but can look
for the reference if you're really curious) that "mandola" may have simply
referred to the addition of the sixth course (i.e., g) as it was becoming more
common following a five-course-dominated tradition.  That may be implied by the
Dalla Casa manuscript which gives a "mandolino" tuning in five courses (i.e.,
b, e', a', d'', g'') and several works for "mandolino" in that range, but that
also features a "Suonata con Grave" for "mandola" with the melody line
descending below.  Etc.  . . .  But you've already touched on all !
 those possibilities, and I suspect from the same sources that I cite here (as
well as a couple others), Alain.

However, I don't want to weigh too heavily upon this topic until I've seen what
Davide has recently published.

Best,
Eugene