From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Alain Veylit
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 11:17 AM
To: Lutelist
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Mandolino versus Mandola

Thank you Eugene.

 From having read a variety of sources now, my current understanding is that
the mandola is a mandolino with one additional course: i.e.
5-courses when the mandolino had 4, and 6 when the mandolino had 5. It's all
relative... Specially if you consider that the modern mandola seems to be a
bass mandolin, tuned in fifth one octave down.

Yet, at least one piece in the Dalla Casa collection labelled for mandolino
requires a 6-course instrument.

Anyone Italian who could tell me what the meaning of the word "Gordini"
is? (I don't mean the Renault sports car...) Was it a profession?

Alain

On 12/04/2017 07:40 PM, Braig, Eugene wrote:
> I had used a word that the listserv's robot flags as a request instead of a
> message.  Here remedied with far more words than necessary.
>
> Eugene

 l those possibilities, and I suspect from the same sources that I cite here
(as well as a couple others), Alain.