Darren> That particular one would be free-software vs proprietary. But
Darren> how many people would have just a proprietary viewer I
Darren> wonder.. Acroread basically won't be used any more.

Of course we could assume that, if people actually installed acroread,
it means that they want to use it.

Darren> What would be nice, is instead of requiring me to type in
Darren> another one if I don't like the default, would be to have a
Darren> drop-down list of detected choices in the appropriate dialogue
Darren> with a star indicating the default.

Yes, this is something I have been wanting for ages.