Andre Poenitz wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 01:21:03PM +0100, Andre Poenitz wrote:
>> > I think this is the time to check it in -- with the trivial
>> > renames you propose. We're not close to a trunk release so any
>> > bugs will get ironed out in a timely manner.
>>
>> I'd like to see some performance measures first, lest we paint
>> ourselves into a corner here.
>
> An entirely unscientific test (sitting in front of the computer and
> counting) yields ~4s for loading the UserGuide before applying the patch
> and ~13s afterwards. There is some additional debug output, but I don't
> think the resulting scrolling in the terminal accounts for all of those
> nine extra seconds.
>
> So please: Produce some numbers showing that there are no inacceptable
> regressions wrt to performance. A performance degradation by a factor of
> 3 for loading documents does not look like a good start.

A small point: when testing we should not limit ourselves to the Userguide.
IMO one of the really strong points of LyX is to be able to deal with huge
documents, like books. (the UG has just 150 pages, it is like a small
book). Btw, we used to test performance with UG20 (just 20 copies of
UserGuide) some time (but I agree that this is kind of extreme, though).

A/