Jules> I wrote quite a long email about math mode HMI back in March.

Jules> I don't think anyone replied ;-)

I happen to have kept it (I can tell you it was sent "25 weeks, 2
days, 14 hours, 47 minutes, 49 seconds ago", as far as Gnus remembers)
and it haunts me everyday, silently telling "you did not answer! you
did not answer!").

The main problem with it is that nobody is prepared to hack the math
code :(

I encourage everybody to re-read it:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg09863.html

The conclusion of the message is:
  Anyway, hopefully this will trigger some discussion,

I think you missed you objective at the time. Here comes the second
chance.