Hi LyXers,

lets start landing towards 2.0.

I respect Jose's choice so the upcoming version is fixed to 2.0 from now on.
Maybe you are not aware, but on autumn we celebrate 15 years of LyX (from the
first releases), so we can join releasing of 2.0 with some public advertisement
and looking back, what has happened during those years ... (if you are looking
for the reason for 2.0 ;)

To make things clear I would like to present plans for release stages
and some outline for dates.

As usual we go for alpha->beta->rc->2.0, with the following meaning of stages:

Alpha - kind of development snapshot. We only want to show new features and
        possibly get some feedback and bug reports, we don't expect users
        to actually use it for serious work. From it follows that there are
        no high quality demands or special policy to release alphas.

Beta - once we decide that all planned features are in and basically working
       we move to beta. From this point the main focus of developers should
       be cleaning the bugzilla from bugs with 2.0 target we get from users.
       So some small features can happen, but its stopper for any refactoring
       code "with some instability period" etc ;)
       Users are encouraged to report bugs back.

RC - all critical or very annoying bugs gone, we think its time to release,
     but for quality assurance few rc releases will be done.
     Bold users are encouraged to start using and report bugs back.

2.0 -  all promised beers from bugzilla have been delivered.

Preliminary dates for the stage beginning:
Alpha - next week if possible
Beta - end of May
RC - end of July
2.0 - end of August

These are no deadlines, but rather live-lines which can change in both
directions ;) Their meaning is to give some course and synchronize us.
The current table can be always found at
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/ReleaseSchedule

Any comments/objections?

Alpha 1: I don't have any special requirement, from my POV the most serious
bug in OS X has been "fixed" by Abdel and I don't see any other showstopper.
Anybody want to have something before alpha in trunk?

Betas
I'll go through the enh bugs with 2.0 target and leave only those which are
really to be included. For this I need somebody create two new milestones in
trac for postponing - 2.1.0 & 2.0.1.

Secondly we need to collect all things which has been only partly finished
or are still in the pipe. Please take a coffee and help me to fill this
list and comment if possible. Cleaning up the list means we move to the beta
stage. The current version can be always reached at
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/LyX20Road
and I fill it once this thread is finished.

  I expect lot of bug reports here though, we need to wait on users testing.

* Spellchecking - IIRC all features done or were there something more - I
remember,
  some proposals like automatic switching off when xx% unrecognized etc.
  There are also already untouched bugs with spellcheck component. Abdel?

  For the packagers we need some summary what are the recommended dependencies.
  Haven't been closely following this stuff - could somebody write some summary
  of all those spellcheck (a/i/hun/spell) and thesaurus deps into RELEASE-NOTES?
  Juergen, Abdel?

* Comparison - IIRC Vincent considered some more work which would use
  words instead of characters to boost up the process. Currently the
  documents which are far from each other will never finish in a reasonable
time.
  Vincent what are your plans? Also NewInLyx2.0 entry is missing or we wait for
  the finishing?

* HTML export. I remember Richard asked for help with images. Anybody around?
  Some plans to add instant preview snapshots for equations, or external insets
  using preview? Some other plans Richard? NewInLyx2.0 entry is missing.

* Multiple viewers/converters. Juergen asked for some help; how this evolved,
  what is to be done in this area? Juergen, Richard?

* rc2rc conversion scripts for converting older preferences into new ones.
  Jose promised to come with something. I have worried what happen with users
  which run lyx beta to test and get prefs overwritten for their stable 1.6.x?

* Instant preview. What is the status/plan with the patch. IIRC Vincent was
  unsatisfied with the state of art without being specific.

* Tabular stuff. Edwin, Uwe and Abdel seem to work on it right now.

* There has been some work on dispatch results, but I have no idea whats the
  current status. JMarc? There are already filled bugs around dispatch.

* Connection between VCS and comparison feature. I have idea what to do but
  others weren't happy about the approach, so more discussion is needed.

* Layout groups are hopeless? Richard? Anybody?
  http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/LayoutGroup

Other entries?

Pavel