>lets start landing towards 2.0.

That's what we call a "flying start"...

>Preliminary dates for the stage beginning:
>Alpha - next week if possible

Did we leave the instability period that was expected due to:
- threaded export,
- movements of code in the dispatch machinery,
- insetdialog changes,
- insetTabular changes.

These were quite intrusive changes not that long ago. I understand the
alpha release doesn't have to be perfect, but there are now a lot of
crashes introduced in recent work, so I don't think it's the time to
'release' anything. There are now a number of very very embarassing bugs
that I don't want to see in the alpha release:
* 6578, 6564, 6522 ...

>Alpha 1: I don't have any special requirement, from my POV the most
serious
>bug in OS X has been "fixed" by Abdel and I don't see any other
showstopper.

I do. As said above.

>Anybody want to have something before alpha in trunk?

I've one worthy unfinished feature left. Export to dir/zip including all
dependent files. Don't know what the advantage of being in alpha release
would be.

>* Comparison - IIRC Vincent considered some more work which would use
>  words instead of characters to boost up the process. Currently the
>  documents which are far from each other will never finish in a
reasonable time.
>  Vincent what are your plans? Also NewInLyx2.0 entry is missing or we
wait for
>  the finishing?

There is an academic question how to limit the time of the algorithm.
There is no such thing as 'the solution', because the real solution is
not the one most useful for the user (and takes quite some time).

I need to do some more work when I have time.

>* Instant preview. What is the status/plan with the patch. IIRC Vincent
was
>  unsatisfied with the state of art without being specific.

There weren't any enthusiastic responses from other developers than you.
The reason why I made it was that I wanted to be able to use psfrag, but
it appeared that was not supported by dvi2ps. This also holds for tikz I
believe. So, this removed the need for introducing yet another inset.
Moreover, I couldn't think of a way to integrate the existing preview
machinery into the new stuff.

>* Layout groups are hopeless? Richard? Anybody?
>  http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/LayoutGroup

I guess, I launched this site, but I didn't have time to do it as I've
been fixing bugs, bugs, and bugs.

>Other entries?

The "Export as ZIP" feature. I'll try to come up with a prototype asap.

Vincent