On 2015-11-10, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 10. November 2015 um 10:50:30, schrieb Guenter Milde
> <mi...@users.sf.net>
>> On 2015-11-10, Kornel Benko wrote:
>> > Am Dienstag, 10. November 2015 um 07:34:42, schrieb Guenter Milde
>> > <mi...@users.sf.net>

>> for a safe handling of XeTeX + TeX-fonts without hacks in the LyX code, I
>> recommend to allow this combination only, if "inputenc" == "ascii".

> I did it. That way I got 117 less failed exports.
> (Previously 260, now 143).

Good.

>> for a safe handling of LuaTeX + TeX-fonts without hacks in the LyX code, I
>> recommend to allow this combination only, if "inputenc" != "auto".

> Setting 'ascii' for '(auto|default)' leads to 53 failed pdf5_texF tests.
> Without this change I have only 28. This does not feel right.

Right. As I said below, "ascii" is not the best choice. Not well tested
and some documents fail with it, (independent of the engine).

>> For LuaTeX + TeX-fonts, only "auto" needs to be changed. Preferably to
>> the document languages default encoding, but any 8-bit encoding or
>> ascii will do.

> This I am omitting for now.

You could try with "latin9" instead of "ascii". Or, make it dependent on
the document language - for manuals etc. this does not require looking
into the LyX-file, as non-English documents are stored in directories with
the language tag. A language tag to encoding mapping can be extracted from
lib/languages.

>> Mind, that changing the inputencoding is only seldom tested and can
>> exhibit a number of currently hidden problems.  For example, the Russian
>> documents fail with inputenc==ascii due to #9637 (textgreek and textcyr
>> depend on font-encoding, not input encoding) where the spurious \textcyr
>> commands interfere with ERT in the document.

>> OTOH, the utf8 inputencoding fails with Greek and Russian due to
>> #9681 (textgreek and textcyr also required for encodable characters).

>> I therefore recommend also test exporting documents with pdflatex and
>> inputenc=ascii as well as inputenc=utf8.

> Now it starts to be complex. It means to analyse the lyx file before test.
> We are not doing it yet.

What I have in mind here was a number of additional tests, where all
manuals (say) get "inputencoding" set to "ascii" and tested for export to
pdf2, say.

+1 if a XeTeX-TeXF test fails, we can find out if this is due to XeTeX vs.
   8-bit LaTeX or to inputenc set to "ascii".

-1 we get a number of new failing tests.

Similar, I would add test for manuals with "inputencoding" set to "utf8" and
export to pdf2.

Günter