On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:45:12 PM WET Georg Baum wrote:
> It would be great if somebody with good python kowledge can confirm that
> the  patch does not break anything with python2. If there is nobody who can
> easily confirm this then I propose to apply it after 2.2.0 is out, since it
> is not too urgent IMHO.
>
> Georg

Without much time to test it I should say that the patch looks sensible and if
necessary it is easy to revert.

And pre-phrasing the famous last words (tm) "I do not see how this patch could
fail". ;-)

So Georg if you got the code to work with python2 in you have my +1. :-)

There are two possible source of problems:
1) input files should be utf-8. Since I think that is the case the patch is
safe.

2) to have some that looks like this

print("#$%&/", file=out) where we will get an error:

TypeError: must be unicode, not str

Those are easy to catch. And the solution is to prefix the string with an u
(unicode string)

print(u"#$%&/", file=out) where we will get an error:

On a quick glance at the code I expect this to work.
--
José Abílio