On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 07:55:28PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:

> > Am 04.06.2016 um 10:15 schrieb Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Georg Baum
> > <georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> >> One thing I noticed recently is the
> >> version suffix: Which autotools you can use an arbitrary one, with cmake
> >> you
> >> can only toggle between a predefined one or none at all, which is a problem
> >> if you want to compare two different builds of the same version with
> >> separate configurations (e.g. qt4/qt5 or different compiler settings).
> >>
> > If moving to cmake definitively would imply losing version suffix
> > functionality, this would be a big issue for my packaging arrangements
> > for Ubuntu builds.
>
> +1
>
> On Mac the version suffix is essential too.

I just want to make sure you saw Kornel's reply to that. I don't know if
it addresses your needs or not.

> I just tried to build a Mac application with cmake and failed.

What was the error?

> It looks like a lot of work or to learn to make this working.

This might be a reason to stop this discussion here. You already do a
huge favor by taking care of the Mac builds. It would not make sense to
make it more difficult. I was hoping that in the long-run it would
actually be easier for you, but perhaps the transition would be too
frustrating and time-consuming.

Scott