Le 07/06/2016 00:35, Guillaume Munch a écrit :
Le 07/06/2016 00:00, Richard Heck a écrit :
On 06/06/2016 06:40 PM, Guillaume Munch wrote:

The point of the proposal is to enabling the early testing and release
of *non-file-format* changes. Then for a proper master release only
file-format changes remain to be fully tested.

This assumes these aspects do not interact. Oftentimes, they do.

Our use of git would make it very easy for us to have a branch in which
new features not requiring format changes could also be put.

This solution would be fine by me too, if people agree to have three
branches.

Here's what I suggest. Let's do, on a trial basis for the duration of
2.3dev, a branch that mirrors master but inserts patches to disable the
input and output of new file-format features (as well as layout changes,
etc.) after each file-format change. We would see if the idea works out.

I was going to do something like this anyway for myself, so I propose to
take care of it until it gains some momentum. At first we could just
make nightlies out of it for Ubuntu.

One roadblock that I am expecting is that the author of the original
file format change knows better than me how to block it, but in case of
trouble I can ask for advice. I plan to include the patches responsible
for file format changes and patch them afterwards, because otherwise I
expect the code to diverge too much. If at some point it no longer works
then I will stop.

I will call the branch “unstable”.

Agreement? Suggestions?