On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 08:57:14PM +0100, mn wrote:
> On 03.12.16 18:49, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Mike, I'm CC'ing a few people who have LyX + Hebrew knowledge. Perhaps
one of them is interested in joining this conversation about how we can
improve LyX to make it easier for users of Hebrew. If they are, you can
get caught up on this current conversation from the following link:

https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=mid&q=023ba35b-760c-ae24-b039-64e7ca2b3a16%40gmx.net

> > It compiles for me. See attached.
> >

> In or on what system?

Ubuntu. All I need to do is run the following command:

sudo ./install-tl-ubuntu --hebrew

The script is here:
https://github.com/scottkosty/install-tl-ubuntu

Note the following issue, which I would like to implement to improve
Hebrew support for e.g. Nikud:
https://github.com/scottkosty/install-tl-ubuntu/issues/27

> Also zoom into the pdf a bit and see that Hebrew is bitmapped and not
> vector.

Same here. That is not nice.

> But I thought that it would be easier to find out about why a language
> that is distributed as supported within LyX does not produce any output
> in that language with a full Texlive-install.

I agree it would be nice to have some user-friendly instructions inside
the file. Perhaps inside the Hebrew splash.lyx file, or maybe just any
Hebrew .lyx file.

> > I don't think LuaTeX + Hebrew has ever compiled for me. You used system
> > fonts? Which fonts?
> >
> I tried some combinations of fonts I know or suspect to cover Hebrew
> codepoints:
> Myriad, Adbobe Hebrew, Lucida, Ezra-Sil and SBL-Hebrew
>
> SBL seems to be the best, followed closely by Ezra.
> Adobe fonts have too many missing glyphs and more so missing combinations.
>
> Those I had to define as default fonts for the document.
> Luatex then distributes a pattern of capital T and L letters over the
> top part of the page.

When I try with LuaTeX, for me the log says:

  Package polyglossia Warning: Hebrew is not supported with LuaTeX.

I also see messages:

  Language hebrew not found in language.dat.lua

If instead I use babel, I get:

  ! Right-to-Left Support Error: use TeX--XeT or e-TeX engine.

> >> It seems that xetex is the only choice I have right now?
> >
> > XeTeX and pdflatex (although you explained this is not a good option).
> > Does XeTeX output not look good?
> >

> When using Lyx to set the main font for Xetex to SBL-Hebrew I get
> beautiful output for Hebrew and really terrible kerning for the latin
> scripts. See attached file.

Did you set the language to English for that selection?

> (Also this font has 4 missing glyphs again for the latin part…)
> So I want/need another font for Roman scripts (haven't tested greek yet)
>
> This font-switcheroo must go into the preamble, I am guessing now since
> I am new to Xetex also.
> But apparently this is not possible within LyX's gui?

Ah good question. I think you are correct that in LyX we don't have a
way to do that. I tried to select text and then go to Edit .> Text Style
.> Customize, but I do not see a way to change it to a different system
font there.

> BTW:
> Until now I only had simple and short strings entered myself into an
> otherwise empty document.
> Copying this rather complex but still short example into LyX makes it
> quite slow to handle and beachballing a lot. There seems to be a problem
> handling this (script or unicode or whatnot).

Good to know. Can you give some enumerated simple steps to reproduce?
And where exactly do you see the slow part? (when copying, when
pasting?) I do not see slowness, but I think it's because I
misunderstood. Please do this in a separate email to lyx-devel so we can
separate the conversations.

> I do not know how most of the users depending on Lyx (for Hebrew) get
> started.
> But I think there would be a fair lot of them using Texlive, some on a Mac.
> The wiki covers Windows/Miktex and an old Ubuntu version.
> Installing culmus by hand into the texmf-tree is not only cumbersome but
> greatly discouraging for the average mac-user, I guess?
> So wiki pages for a) Hebrew with standard Texlive Installation and b)
> Hebrew on a Mac would be a starter.

Would be nice. We have not had any volunteer to make them I think.

> Second suggestion: more of this information to be put into the
> He-Intro.lyx in a lingua franca, i.a. English.
> I am just starting old Hebrew language and am not good enough to read
> what's exactly in He-Intro.lyx.

That is a good idea that I did not think about. I like the idea of
putting the information in e.g. English so that users who want to learn
about Hebrew + LyX who are not fluent in Hebrew could still get help. I
think we should also put it in Hebrew. Even though I imagine most Hebrew
users speak English, I think it is nice to not be too English-centric,
at least for the Hebrew documents. Perhaps if the wiki pages existed we
could just put notes in the .lyx files to see the wiki pages, instead of
copying the information there.

Scott