Op 03-12-16 om 21:43 schreef Scott Kostyshak:
Mike, I'm CC'ing a few people who have LyX + Hebrew knowledge. Perhaps
one of them is interested in joining this conversation about how we can
improve LyX to make it easier for users of Hebrew.

If I may offer some suggestions... I am not a programmer who can implement this, but I use Hebrew in LyX quite often, including ancient Hebrew with everything on it. Xetex is the only one, in my experience, that is really working.

The fonts are the issue, both screenfonts and document fonts. Lyx allows for both to set only one font and many fonts do not support rtl languages properly. I think what LibreOffice does (and I think Ms Office does the same) is a way to go: add a separate font setting for RTL languages, both for screen font as for the document font.

The other thing is that on screen, when I type a rtl text in a ltr documents, I have to mark that word as e.g. Hebrew before the sequence is right. I would be nice to have that done automatically. Xetex does it right, even if it is not marked as rtl. What would be great is an option to set not only a default rtl font, but also a default rtl language, that is set automatically by lyx in the document when rtl text is entered (and in Hebrew Lyx of course vice versa).

This probably needs a more extensive support for polyglossia.

Cor