On 2016-12-07, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 07.12.2016, 17:28 +0000 schrieb Guenter Milde:

>> The only possible problem would be to make sure that the
>> unicodesymbols replacements are done *after* coverting the Quote inset
>> to a quote character.

> Can you assure that the opening/closing quote mechanism will still work
> reliably?

I cannot assure this for the current mechanism in LyX because I don't
know the details. The common smartquotes mechanism relies on word
boundaries -- independent of Quote insets.

> What about extended features such as quote balancing check or
> automatic nesting (of inner/outer quotes)?

While the current functionality can be maintained without Quote insets,
possible future enhancements may gain from the complex handling of quotes
via insets.

For each of them, the advantages and drawbacks of a Quote inset should be
weighed up against the added complexity of a Quote inset.

I agree that this should be done before taking a decision to remove the
Quote inset framework.

> What if quotation mark glyphs are made active?

No change, as already now literal quote characters are in common use.
In 8-bit LaTeX, all typographical quote characters are active (as all
non-ASCII characters).

The problematic character is the neutral "ASCII quote" (0022 QUOTATION
MARK). However, handling of this character will not be affected by
superseding Quote insets with literal quote characters:

* »"« is currently not used in Quote-inset export,
* the default binding for the »"« key (the quote-insert LFUN) remains
* it is inset as-is in some cases by the quote-insert LFUN already now.
  (Outside of verbatim context, inserting \textquotedbl{} is preferable.)

Günter