Le 07/12/2016 à 18:49, Guenter Milde a écrit :
The current behaviour of "insert-quote" LFUN is usually called "smart
quotes". This can be done without Quote insets.

Sure. What the Quote inset brings us, as Juergen pointed out already, is some semantics. But it is not semantics that we really exploit now.

Only if we want to keep the type of quotes configurable also after
insertion, "dynamic" Quote insets are required.
But even then, the existing "static" Quote insets should be converted to
Unicode in the source files with lyx2lyx.

I am not so sure about that. The example of inner spacein french quotes is interesting in this repect. Sure, we can take the lazy approach and add inde spaces by hand. This lead french text to be full of ugly grey rectangles (the spaces) on screen in word processors. But it is not really a quote and a space. In some sense the space is part of the quote, like the spacing in math typesetting.

And pardon me for failing to be impressed by the modernity of people having unicode keyboards (how many keys does your keyboard have?) and selection of a character in a list or 65535 others in some GUI where I have to guess what is the category of the character I am looking for. Unicode is great, but it is not a religion I want to get enrolled in.