Am Mittwoch, den 07.12.2016, 21:14 +0000 schrieb Guenter Milde:
> If quotes come in pairs, it can be implemented similar to brackets.
> (Also for brackets there is a chance of mismatch due to other uses
> like
>   1) in enumerations
>   2) in smilies :-)
> )

Really? Do you have a patch for that? I doubt it will be as easy as
with the inset.

> If quotes don't come in pairs (e.g. the Finnish quotes) it does not
> make
> much sense to highlight matches.

Why? Also Finish has opening and closing quotes (functionally), even if
they are allographs (formally).
(Which is yet another argument pro inset: the distinction of form and
meaning).

> However, at least in English, a typographical apostrophe and a
> typographical
> single left quotation mark are considered the same *character* (not
> just
> glyph):
>
> The Unicode standard says:
>
> 0027  APOSTROPHE
>       * neutral (vertical) glyph with mixed usage
>       * 2019 is preferred for apostrophe
>       * preferred characters in English for paired quotation marks
> are
>         2018 & 2019
>
> 2018  LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
>       = single turned comma quotation mark
>       * this is the preferred character (as opposed to 201B)
> 2019  RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
>       = single comma quotation mark
>       * this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe

Which shows that apostrophe and single quotation mark _are_ different
glyphs.

> Expectiong the user to inserting this character with different
> keybindings depending on the use case is not user friendly.

Why? There is an apostrophe key and a quotation mark key.

Still not convinced (or even less convinced the more I start pondering
it) ...

Jürgen