Am Montag, den 12.12.2016, 11:01 +0000 schrieb Guenter Milde:
> > > As opposed to that, I would rather introduce a plain quote style
> > > and
> > > ditch the straight quote special char
>
> Seconded. This could also solve the issue with the currently missing
> straight single quote/apostrophe.

Günter, do you have an idea how straight double quotes can be produced
with OT1 font encoding? \textquotedbl is unavailable, and \char`\"
(what we use currently for the straight quote in OT1) does not produce
a straight quotation mark, but a closing English quotation mark.
(\textquotesingle, OTOH, is provided by textcomp, and works in OT1).

One option would be to define our own text command for OT1, e.g.

\DeclareTextCommandDefault{\textquotedouble}{\textquotesingle\kern-
.25ex\textquotesingle}

Jürgen