On 2016-12-10, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> Am Samstag, den 10.12.2016, 16:27 +0100 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
>> > No auto-spaces around quotes with polyglossia

>> The only supported way here seem to be literal glyphs.

Do you mean literal characters?

  The ISO/IEC 10646 (Unicode) International Standard defines character, or
  abstract character as "a member of a set of elements used for the
  organisation, control, or representation of data".

  The term glyph is used to describe a particular visual appearance of a
  character. Many computer fonts consist of glyphs that are indexed by the
  numerical code of the corresponding character.

  -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_(computing)

  In typography, a glyph is "the specific shape, design, or representation
  of a character".

  -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyph#cite_ref-1

>> I suggest we output those if polyglossia is used.

> Hm, interestingly enough,
> \guillemotleft French \guillemotright
> outputs the proper spacing with fontspec/LuaTeX.

More interestingly, it also put spaces between single guillemots!

Jean-Mark, do you think this is the right way to do it?

However, with XeTeX and Polyglossia spacing is more than wrong:
Spaces are missing with double guillemots and the opening single one but
present before a closing single guillemot.

I suggest to provide different styles:

  "french" with hard-coded spaces inside guillemots (in all languages)

  "swiss" without spaces (in all languages).

The default style for French language would be "french", other languages
currently using "french" chould switch to "swiss" in lib/languages.

This way, the user can configure the spacing via
Document>Settings>Language>Quote_Style.

Babel (and Polyglossia with LuaTeX) will add the spaces if the text language
is french by default (the user can supress this with preamble code).
However, they will not add more space, if there is already space, so we
don't need to care for "double space".

Once we are at adding new quote styles, a separate style for Hebrew seems
better suited than auto-converting any Quote-inset to straight quotes in
Hebrew.

Thanks,

Günter