On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 13.19.23 WEST Kornel Benko wrote:
> So, should we make python3 be the default for lyx2.3?

We want it to work as well as it works python 2. If it is the default or not I
have no strong opinion.

> There is one task remaining. Creation of lyxrc.defaults uses string 'python'
> as executable even if lyx is configured for use with python3.

I agree that this could change.

> I had to edit this file to get the desired python3 to run the converts.
> (Example: \converter fig        pstex      "python -tt
> $$s/scripts/fig2pstex.py $$i $$o"        "")

Honestly here I suggest us to change this automatically for users.
If the first command is python we should change it to the python version
configured. If the user wants to use a different python version the user is
free to use say "python2 -tt ..."

For example in my system where python is python2 I have:
$ ll /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 7 Jan 12 18:00 /usr/bin/python -> python2
$ ll /usr/bin/python2
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jan 12 18:00 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7

And that has been like this for ages. :-)

--
José Abílio