> BibTeX bst files do not control the output of citations, only of
> bibliography references. Right?

Right. You'd need to set it on package level (natbib's \setcitestyle or
\bibpunct, for instance or cite.sty's \citemid).

> >> Another question: Should the "literal" flag default to true or false?
> >> Having it default to true would be consistent with pre-2.3 behavior.
> >> People who wanted it otherwise could set it once and then it would
> >> (should) be remembered.
> > The argument for setting it to false was that novices tend to run into
> > more severe problems if they enter text that is interpreted as a
> > command and might not know what happens (as opposed to LaTeX
> > literates).
> >
> > For people who are used to the current situation, there will certainly
> > a learning process. But on the other hand, the situation was not very
> > clear at all, since some dialogs were outputting verbatim texts, some
> > not, some partially.
>
> Having the checkbox is fine with me. I just don't want to have to keep
> checking it.
>
> I've committed something along these lines.

OK. Thanks. Since this is used as a session setting, we might have the
unwanted side-effect that it is now off by default for everybody starting
LyX 2.3 with an old document.

Jürgen