Am Mittwoch, dem 03.04.2024 um 11:07 +0200 schrieb Jean-Marc
Lasgouttes:
> Should the menu code disable the second shortcut when a conflict is
> detected?

Not sure. As said, the shortcuts are usable if multiply assigned. You
just need an extra return on the one you want. This strikes me better
than having no shortcut at all.

What could be a more clever (?) option, I think, is the possibility to
assign shortcut alternatives, as in "Text actions|Txct", and LyX checks
the characters in turn until one is free.

Often, we have cases where one shortcut works in a specific context but
not in a specific other, and the other shortcuts works in the second
one, but not in the first. In general, these cases are rare, but we
have them, as you can imagine with 50 possible menu entries and 26
letters in the alphabet.

> Do we actually know how to do that?

We have MenuDefinition::checkShortcuts() which issues that duplication
warning, so I guess, yes, we do.

--
Jürgen