On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 05:59:56PM +1000, Allan Rae wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> >
> > > Can't we (ab)use mathed for the bullets? The validate() would come for
> >
> > How?
>
> Don't know. I don't really know where and how the bullets are drawn...

They aren't -- the pixmaps are in the dialog and that's it.  LaTeX
code is written.  Maybe one day we could use the previewer to render
the bullets and then show them in WYSIWYG, or just copy the pixmap
into the workarea would also do.
[...]
> > > The missing support for \ding is a matter of ten minutes...
> >
> > Qt working the same as XForms would be less changes methinks.
> > It'd remove a lot of code too.
>
> Ok. So why don't do it that way for now?

I don't know.  I've wondering this myself.

> > I think both you and Edwin aren't realizing just what weird and
> > wonderful things can end up in user-modded string.  If you attempt to
> > parse such a thing how do you decide whether to set the size field or
> > leave the size in the string (maybe by saying the size must be the
> > first thing otherwise ignore it?).
>
> I never understood why this size thing is needed.

So I can have big fat bullets or at least a size or two larger/smaller
as suits my taste and the need to be able to see them.  Some of
bullets look groovy but when placed in your text they look too small
(typically).

> In any case, \Large etc could be parsed as any other LaTeX command, so I
> see no additional problem here.
>
> > If by parsing you mean you simply want to check if a bullet string
> > exists in the user string for validation (deciding which extra package
> > to include) then that would work okay but anything more complicated
> > than that and I think you're heading up the wrong path.
>
> No, by "parsing" I mean "throwing it at the math parser".

I'm still unsure what that gets us.  You know what the math parser
does.  I don't -- other than to guess it creates math insets which
Bullets are not (they aren't even insets).

Allan. (ARRae)