On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 00:35 +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> Another annotation:
>
> - You added in the Tutorial: "Hint: you cannot use “<reference> on page
> <page>” to fix this example
> because Section 1.2 is on the same page; you will need to use separate
> cross-references selected
> from the “Format” options."
>
> But this is not the case for me. Albeit the label is on the same page, I get
> "see Section 1.2, which
> can be found on page 2". So the description in the tutorial is correct.

This is the case for me; there was a thread about this on the lyx-docs
lists and, when I went through the Tutorial file, using just the
instructions in the manual, I ended up with the cross-reference on the
same page as the tagged section. In this case, “<reference> on page
<page>” defaults to “<reference>”; you can only get it to work as
implied if the cross-reference and the tagged section are on different
pages.

So I thought I would make good use of this quirk to encourage people to
try out some of the other options.

The only case in which this would not happen would be if the new user
copied a large amount of material into example.lyx so that it pushed the
cross-reference on to the next page. So the other alternative would be
to introduce an instruction to copy enough material into example.lyx to
achieve this.

However, I thought the Hint idea was better for getting the new user to
explore other options.

John