On 21.04.16 19:25, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

>> The issue I raised called “2.” points to a commmon problem in several
>> LyX-documentation-docs, not only tutorial(en):
>> Lines running into the margin.
>> This is really bad, both optically and as an example. Of course,
>> guessing that it is not meant as one of multiple examples of what can go
>> wrong, when you start using LaTeX/LyX!
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with you. Our manuals should be a showcase for
> LyX and how to use it correctly.
>
> I did not have time to look at your changes, but I think something has
> to be done.

My thoughts and suggestions for this are as follows,
hopefully applied minimalistically and eye-pleasing in the attached
document:

Every doc should have at least another round of chktex applied to them.

Better fonts and uniformity of choices for all the included docs:
Tutorial already uses Palatino, but not true smallcaps.
Activating smallcaps should be always on, if available. (Think “Noun-Style”)

Other docs still use LModern and Courier. These should be abolished.

%  Apart from illustrating the urgent need for LyX to support more of
TeXLive’s fonts for pdflatex…

Given the choices available Palatino is probably the best.
Mathdesign Charter is so buggy, you get an error in typesetting
additional.lyx.

%  URW-Garamond is not that good for reading on screen.
%  TXTypewriter would be my current favorite (Luximono being excluded
for install shenanigans).
%  The glyphs of TexGyre-Heros are imho superior to that Helvetica clone
now chosen, but  LyX deactivates the scaling for Heros?

Anyway, all the docs should conform to a certain style-guide.
This guide should cover quite a bit more then what can only be deduced
from introduction.lyx and the other documents.

Introducing either ERT: \allowbreak or a ragged linebreak into some
LyX-Code environments to avoid margin violations.
Since this is a tutorial, maybe introducing both (or other) concepts
might even be a good thing. Margin cleanliness is a major headache (not
only for first timers…)
Sometimes rewording seemed the only choice to avoid margin trouble.

Setting the slash-character “/” always compress.
No thinspaces around it, no other spaces – this was handled
inconsistently; but only using thinspace throughout would be
acceptable?), except when reflecting the menu-entry “List / TOC” where
it is done likewise (and wrong imho).

“Correct” usage of endash, surrounded with interword spaces
(alternative: emdash, but then it should not have any spaces around it –
of course, “which” is a matter of taste, as long as it is consistent)
Example for definite wrongness: currently the first sentence exhibits
"-", the hyphen, instead of the dashes "–" or "—".

Correct punctuation and usage of … for \dots or \ldots instead of three
fullstops ... .

“Exercises” where cramped due to choice of standard environment.
Setting them to “Description” separates them visually and avoids
indention at the same time.

Consistent use of quotation marks.
They are used seldom plain wrong (which should be fixed of course),
but I am under the impression that how they are entered is differing
from time to time?

%  My habit has been to use
%  \textquotedblleft \textquotedblright{}
%  and the like to get the best results instead of shit-2.
%  Then, this may be suboptimal?
%  But then the ‘subtle’ hints in the PDF
%  look wrong in LyX with `subtle' hints

Updated snippets of screenshots.
My guess is that on no platform LyX-2.2+ is supporting things look
really as bad as in the screenshots included (i.e. not anymore).

mn