On 18.05.16 00:31, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 16.05.2016 um 14:09 schrieb mn:
>> Nevertheless, as long as the page-metaphor is transferred to or kept in
>> PDFs, things like widows and orphans should be avoided still.
>
> Sure.
>
>> This and a few additions to the tutorial are attached.
>
> I committed only a few of your changes. Most are just a matter of taste
> and the user is just learning how LyX works in the Tutorial so that
> forced page breaks are something he does not yet know.

OK, I am fine with that now.
The last few remaining margin offenders I can spot are now quite subtle.

>> One thing I saw and didn't touch:
>> Footnotes start their numbers afresh in chapters.
>> Again, if this is intended, OK.
>
> This is the default. You can of course change this with the command
> \numberwithin, see the EmbeddedObjects manual.

Just asking if it was intended that way. Another matter of taste, mostly.

What the target audience might find confusing regarding footnotes might
be that the titlepage footnotes use symbols in LyX but numbers in the
output.

Well, together with the above page breaks:
The second page is blank but numbered in arabic, then the toc starts in
roman numerals. And the remainder gets again arabic page numbering. I
think that arabic number on page 2 should be suppressed. I do not know
how to do this without resorting to these pagebreaks and ERT.
If there is a simpler way to get rid of it please do so.

>>> Another point: You changed the info that LyX supports every image
>>> format. It really does! (Thanks to ImageMagick and Ghostscript.)
>>
>> Well, I thought that would be a bet on the safe side.
>> You know, _every_ format.
>> A quick check and I cannot find in “identify” the formats for STAD,
>> NeoChrome and ApplePreferred (GS). There seem to be a bit more though.
>
> Are these normed image formats? Of course I can invent my own image
> format and LyX cannot support it.
> However, some advertising for LyX is not too bad here.

They are established formats, quite old and many not into retro would
say they are also obsolete.
If you compare the list of identify with e.g.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/produkte/graphicconverter/funktionen/import-und-export-formate/
you also see what I mean with a “bit more”.
At the same time that there are (trivial) means to convert them into
formats that LyX (ImageMagick) surely understands.
In statistics for reality: these are very very rare use cases.

>>> You found a bug. Can you please report it in our bug database:
>>> http://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/BugTrackerHome
>>
>> Just to clarify:
>> This symbol seems to be missing in Palatino, Helvetica.
>
> Then LyX should not offer them in the special character dialog.

As I understand this, it should be like:
1. You do not mean that the special char-dialog should be reduced for
every possible font.
Instead,
2. LyX knows the glyph coverage of a font, at least for those offered
through doc-settings/pdflatex and then adjusts the special character
dialog accordingly? That might be nice.

But I see this more of detriments and reasons against those fonts
mentioned since they simply are not as good as generally advertized.

If you indeed favour a reduction as in 2 then I see this as a maybe bug
in LyX, but disagree on how to solve this:
Since it is offered from LaTeX and also in really good fonts, then LyX
should show that this glyph/character is possible in general but just
not with the font you selected earlier in the doc-settings.

greetings
Mike