Dear List and Guillaume,

I installed Fedora 23 in a virtual machine, and out of the box it displayed
the same issue if I installed Lyx, Libertine, and Newtx packages. Once I
installed texlive-collection-fontsextra (which is different than
fontsrecommended) Libertine works as a math font.

Problem solved. I thank everyone for their consideration, and especially
Guillaume for investigating.

--
Respectfully,

Robert Susmilch
The "gobbledygook" in this email is due to this email having been "signed"
with PGP for security. Please see http://bit.ly/1MsqFhJ for more information.