Am 18.10.2016 um 15:41 schrieb Paola Manzini <pm...@st-andrews.ac.uk>:

>>> I know it should work, which is why it is sooo frustrating! I cannot see
>>> any path settings in the Terminal, but I have put in lyX the same address
>>> as the one invoked for Maxima run from a terminal window, and still no joy!
>>
>> The problem is that LyX contains the call of the external utility as
>> hard-coded string and it is „maxima“.
>>
>> The only solution I can see is to wrap the wrapper script „maxima.sh“
>> located inside the Maxima.app bundle
>> with a utility script like the following code (I cannot attach it - every
>> virus checker will block the transport):
>> ======= 8< snip here >8 =======
>> #!/bin/sh
>> exec /Applications/Maxima.app/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh "$@"
>> ======= 8< snip here >8 =======
>>
>> In terminal you may do this:
>> $ mkdir -p $HOME/bin
>> $ cat - > $HOME/bin/maxima <<EOF
>> #!/bin/sh
>> exec /Applications/Maxima.app/Contents/Resources/maxima.sh "\$@"
>> EOF
>> $ chmod +x $HOME/bin/maxima
>>
>> Then verify that "$HOME/bin“ is in LyX’s configured PATH - either as written
>> or as "~/bin".
>>
>> Then it should work.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stephan
>>
>> PS: Be careful with the quotation marks and the backslash. They’re essential.
>>

> many thanks Stephan, I’ll try, but as I am as far from a techie as you can
> imagine, some questions for you:
> 1. are these two alternative methods, or do I need first to create the
> wrapper, then run from the terminal?
> 2. where should I save the wrapper, and with what name?
> 3. the <snip here> means joining the two “8”?
> thanks!

1. You need to create the wrapper first and may try it (after creating it) in
terminal by typing "$HOME/bin/maxima“
2. The wrapper should be placed in folder $HOME/bin (which is created first in
case it doesn’t exist already by „mkdir“)
3. The snip surrounded two lines is the contents of the wrapper script - „8<"
and „>8" are the two scissors :)

To explain the terminal commands:
The first terminal command is ensuring the existence of the folder „$HOME/bin“.
The second one (starting with „cat“ and ending with EOF) is one the way to
create the wrapper script without any editor.
The third command is making your new wrapper script executable.

The 2nd command needs to be entered exactly as you see it.

You can verify what you did by using the terminal command:
$ cat $HOME/bin/maxima

It should give you the 2-line-script between the lines surrounded by the
scissors.

The problem why you has to do it yourself is: I cannot send you any shell
script.
No virus scanner will let it through. It doesn’t matter if it is useful or not.

Regards,
Stephan