Thanks again Scott for your response and thoughtful help. I attach the file. I
updated LyX to 2.3.7. This has indeed only been a problem in the past couple of
years. I’ve sort of tolerated it because I mostly collaborate now rather than
writing myself — getting old and rusty. For collaborations I use Overleaf
though I still prefer LyX.

In 2001, KLyX changed my life, but because of the top search result! Ewwww

Tim

On 8 Aug 2023, at 14:42, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 08:23:15AM -0600, Tim Garrett wrote:
>>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Thank you for the quick response. Definitely not a branch. If the source
>> LaTeX pane is the code preview pane, that is not open either (I also noticed
>> that suggestion searching through threads).
>>
>> My troubleshooting step is simply open new file, paste text from a paragraph
>> from some other file, double paste, and notice the difference in cursor
>> speed.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Tim
>
> Thanks for those details, Tim!
>
> It's good to know those two theories of mine are not correct.
>
> Thanks for sending your system info in your initial message, that's helpful.
> In particular, it's helpful to know that you're on macOS, if I understand
> correctly. We have definitely seen strange things reported by macOS users the
> last couple years.
>
> I see you are on LyX 2.3.6.2. Can you test the most recent version of LyX? I
> do not see an entry in the changelog from 2.3.6.2 to 2.3.7
> (http://lists.lyx.org/pipermail/lyx-announce/2023/000012.html) that appears
> related to your issue, but it's still worth checking. Also, 2.3.7 might be
> compiled with a newer version of Qt which can bring fixes as well so maybe
> you'll get lucky.
>
> By the way, what is KLyX? Was that the original name of LyX? When I search
> for KLyX on Wikipedia, it redirects to something surprising; you have my
> sympathy if you've been using that since 2001 ;)
>
> Do I understand correctly that you did not experience this issue before? If
> so, do you know when the issue started to appear for you? Was it during an
> upgrade of LyX versions?
>
> I haven't heard of this particular issue before from any user (perhaps others
> have?), so it might be difficult to debug and figure out the root cause.
>
> Even though you can reproduce the issue from just opening a new file, it
> would still be helpful for you to send us a file where the cursor speed is
> slow for you. The reason for this is that it's possible to change the default
> document settings of new documents, so a new file for you is not necessarily
> the same as a new file for me. I don't *think* this is the root issue, but it
> would still be helpful to rule it out.
>
> Best,
> Scott
#LyX 2.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 544
\begin_document
\begin_header
\save_transient_properties true
\origin unavailable
\textclass article
\begin_preamble

\usepackage[left,modulo]{lineno}
\end_preamble
\options agums
\use_default_options false
\maintain_unincluded_children false
\language english
\language_package default
\inputencoding auto
\fontencoding global
\font_roman "times" "default"
\font_sans "default" "default"
\font_typewriter "default" "default"
\font_math "auto" "auto"
\font_default_family default
\use_non_tex_fonts false
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100 100
\font_tt_scale 100 100
\use_microtype false
\use_dash_ligatures true
\graphics default
\default_output_format default
\output_sync 0
\bibtex_command default
\index_command default
\float_placement h
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing single
\use_hyperref false
\papersize letterpaper
\use_geometry true
\use_package amsmath 1
\use_package amssymb 1
\use_package cancel 1
\use_package esint 0
\use_package mathdots 1
\use_package mathtools 1
\use_package mhchem 1
\use_package stackrel 1
\use_package stmaryrd 1
\use_package undertilde 1
\cite_engine natbib
\cite_engine_type authoryear
\biblio_style plainnat
\use_bibtopic false
\use_indices false
\paperorientation portrait
\suppress_date false
\justification true
\use_refstyle 0
\use_minted 0
\branch answers
\selected 0
\filename_suffix 0
\color #faf0e6
\end_branch
\index Index
\shortcut idx
\color #008000
\end_index
\leftmargin 1in
\topmargin 1in
\rightmargin 1in
\bottommargin 1in
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\paragraph_indentation default
\is_math_indent 0
\math_numbering_side default
\quotes_style english
\dynamic_quotes 0
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\html_math_output 0
\html_css_as_file 0
\html_be_strict false
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Standard
\align left
\begin_inset CommandInset citation
LatexCommand citet
key "Arakawa2004"
literal "false"

\end_inset

 emphasized that any successful scheme that attempts to parameterize the
 role of clouds in climate must
\emph on
a) be based on clear testable hypotheses, b) not affect large-scale predictabili
ty and c) invoke buoyancy.

\emph default
Understanding of convective cloud behaviors, their radiative impacts, and
 their response to increasing greenhouse gas concentrations has advanced
 rapidly
\begin_inset CommandInset citation
LatexCommand citep
key "bogenschutz2013,Cronin2017,Pinsky2019"
literal "false"

\end_inset

 with a current consensus pointing to tropical clouds amplifying surface
 warming with cold cirrus anvils isothermally shift higher
\begin_inset CommandInset citation
LatexCommand citep
key "Hartmann2002,Zelinka2017,Ceppi2017"
literal "true"

\end_inset

, possibly moderated by a shrinking cloud fraction
\begin_inset CommandInset citation
LatexCommand citep
key "Bony2016,Su2017"
literal "false"

[...]